As a follow-up to last Monday’s post on summer travel, I thought it would be fun to put together a list of some great road trip (or plane trips, or maybe even bike trip) snacks. Every trip needs snacks. I get really, really bored while I’m traveling and it’s hard for me to read or listen to too much music, so I usually just look around and eat. Because I can truly eat nonstop just to fill time, I try to take pretty healthy things, so a) I don’t get full too fast, and b) I don’t feel really sick from eating crap. One other thing I always plan for a road trip: a wet washcloth or paper towel in a Ziploc bag. Wanna know what sucks? Being stuck in a car with sticky fingers. I am not nutty about too many things in life, but I really hate sticky fingers on myself and on anyone else.
Without any further ado, my list of great, fairly-healthy summer road trip snacks.
- Sour cherry pie that’s actually cake. Just imagine it in square chunks all wrapped up to pass around to people (or yourself) on your trip. (It’s actually cake)
- Sweet potato buckwheat snack bars with cardamom. Essentially the best-lookin’ granola bar ever.
- Raw tahini fudge. Truly. Madly. Deeply. Do.
- Avocado truffles because why wouldn’t you turn an avocado into something even more decadent than it already is?
- Gluten-free cashew butter granola. Imagine just sitting back, watching the country roll by, eating this. Handful by handful.
- Curry roasted vegetable and avocado naanwich. A bit more advanced and would take some time, but would be worth it a million times over.
- Gluten-free swirly blackberry meringues. They’re pretty. They’d get all over you when you eat them. But just take them. Seriously. Hostess/host gift?
- Coconut almond granola. All granola, all the time.
- Tile flatbreads for hummus, guacamole, salsa, cheese, meat… you will need these. And they won’t make you feel terrible.
- Bagel brunch. I know you’re just going on a lil’ trip and not brunchin’ – but why wouldn’t you consider your trip equally as important. Now, it might be difficult to get these on a plane, but think about it for an epic road trip!
- Cucumber, feta, and sorghum salad. I would make this without the feta, and add some more veggies. Grab a spork and go!
- Iced chai tea – throw it all in bottles in a cooler and call it a day. You don’t have to spend a million dollars at Starbucks along the way, and you don’t have to give in to gas station sweetened tea, either. Make either this or this recipe with non-dairy milk and you are GOOD to go. (I won’t be offended if you stop at Starbucks for Oprah Chai because I love them, too. A lot.)
- Flavored waters because you should be drinking a lot and water gets boring. Or just take a shit ton of La Croix because it’s the best drink ever created. Although, here’s a list of fifty great flavored waters.